When one of our staff writers had a bad acid reflux flareup, we knew we had to dive into the world of low acid coffee. After brewing and tasting over 41 cups of low acid coffee, we can recommend the Puroast Low Acid House Blend as the most readily-available, best low acid coffee for most consumers.
Table Of Contents
Who This Guide Is For
Do you have problems consuming foods with high acidity levels? This can be quite an issue if you love drinking coffee, because many types of coffee are known for being rather acidic.
For those who have a low tolerance for high acidic beverages, specifically coffee, low acid coffee products are the best alternatives available. Get all the benefits and enjoyment of everyone’s favorite morning beverage without risking any digestion problems afterward with our top 5 best low acid coffees below.
Our Top Picks
1. Puroast Low Acid Coffee House Blend
- Significantly lower acid levels (70% less).
- Offers high amounts of anti-oxidants.
- Quite affordable.
- It is 100% organic.
- It can get stale surprisingly quick.
- Some may find the flavor to be a bit lacking.
The Puroast Low Acid Coffee House Blend has a pH rating of 5.81 which is significantly lower than your average coffee brand. This low acid coffee is also calorie and gluten-free as well as 100% organic, a good feature to have for health-conscious coffee drinkers.
This low acid coffee is processed using traditional wood-fire roasting which helps deliver that classic coffee flavor with lower acidity. For people with acid reflux, ulcers, and heartburn, Puroast coffee is an excellent alternative to satisfy your coffee cravings in the morning.
Puroast coffee is also known to deliver higher levels of antioxidants compared to other coffees and even green tea. Its low acidity and high anti-oxidants help deliver one of the healthier alternatives to your traditional cup of coffee.
2. Healthwise Low Acid Coffee
- It manages to retain all the natural nutrients of a coffee bean with the help of Techno Roasting.
- Reasonable price and generous amount in one container.
- Coffee is sealed in an air-tight container
- Some inconsistency with its roasting process as some coffee beans are darker than others.
Healthwise is one of the more well-known manufacturers of low acid coffee thanks in huge part to how they process their coffee products. In what Healthwise dubs as “Techno Roasting”, their coffee substantially reduces the bitter taste while also flushing out the acids in the coffee beans. The result is a mild flavor that is quite soothing, to say the least.
Another advantage of Techno Roasting is with how it avoids stripping the coffee bean off of its nutrients. Traditional coffee bean roasting will significantly reduce the anti-oxidants, vitamins, and minerals that coffee beans naturally contain. With Techno Roasting, the coffee bean will retain all the beneficial nutrients even after being processed.
Healthwise Low Acid Coffee offers a healthier and low acid coffee with a smoother flavor and a significantly less bitter taste.
3. Java Planet Colombia Organic Low Acid Coffee
- Affordable price when compared to its competitors.
- Completely safe and GMO-free.
- Only mildly bitter taste even with the dark roasted appearance.
- The flavor might fall short of expectation with coffee aficionados.
- More “mild” acidity than true “low” acidity.
The Java Planet Colombia Organic Low Acid Coffee takes advantage of the fact that the ingredients are grown in Colombia. The advantage of coffees from Colombia is that the area is already known for its low terrain, this produces naturally low acidic coffee beans from the get-go.
This coffee from Java Planet is also completely GMO-free. The cultivation process also did not utilize any sort of pesticides which further improves its overall safety. Each pack also has an extra 1lb. more than most coffee beans in the same price range.
As for the flavor, expect the Java Planet Colombia Organic to do away with that bitter burnt taste and offer a full-flavored and smooth coffee drinking experience. It has a darker roast at first glance with a truly enticing fresh smell that will have coffee lovers salivating.
Please note that this is more of a “mild” acidity coffee than a true “low acidity” alternative. It may not be enough for those with severe acid reflux issues.
4. Tieman’s Fusion Coffee
- Substantially has more anti-oxidants than your average coffee.
- Quite creamy and flavorful.
- It is infused with goji berry, red tea, and green tea which helps boosts its overall health benefits.
- It comes in both whole bean and pre-ground bean variety.
- Those who enjoy the classic taste of coffee might be taken aback with its flavor.
- It is more expensive due to the added ingredients.
One of the tastier entries in this list comes in the form of the Tieman’s Fusion Coffee. This Arabica coffee bean comes with all the benefits present in green and red tea, with the added boost in flavor for those picky coffee drinkers.
Tieman’s Fusion Coffee is made from 100% Arabica beans. As the name suggests though, this particular coffee is a fusion of a variety of different health beverages, namely; Matcha green tea, rooibos red tea, and goji berry. This fusion of different beverages helps deliver a nutritious and flavorful low acid coffee.
The Tieman’s Fusion Coffee has a pH level of 5.85 which is mild enough to prevent any acid reflux or indigestion for those who have trouble digesting high acid drinks. A coffee/tea hybrid drink is quite a novel idea. Something that might seem strange at first, but Tieman’s Fusion Coffee certainly manages to deliver.
If you want a low acid coffee that comes packed with all the health benefits synonymous with green and red tea, you should try what Tieman is offering with their Fusion Coffee.
5. Healthwise Low Acid Coffee for Keurig K-Cup Brewers
- Highly affordable price tag.
- Bursting with flavor.
- Might be a bit too strong for some coffee drinkers.
For those who have a Keurig K-Cup coffee maker at home, then here is the low acid coffee for you. Healthwise once again makes an appearance in this list with their Keurig K-Cup Brewer specific coffee beans.
This coffee uses high-quality Colombian Supremo Arabica coffee beans and processes it using FDA-approved Techno Roasting techniques.
What we have here is a coffee that has a low bitter taste and significantly lower acid levels. It also manages to maintain all the important vitamins and minerals even after the roasting process. This coffee bean is also completely kosher and is compatible with all Keurig 2.0 brewing systems.